- Plan A Visit
- Rides & Slides
- Buy Tickets
11 October 2010 - 3:34pm
As long as I've been here (nearly two decades), we've never had a contest to name a ride.
The cute (and colorful!) ride we're adding to Rudolph's Reindeer Ranch seemed like the right time to try one out.
Alrighty then. Please take a look and then read on for a few rules plus the deadline.
To begin with ... our working name is Santa's Sleigh Ride. It's sort of grown on us, so you've got your work cut out for you to be exceptionally clever! (And yes, we reserve the right to use our name, so please don't get mad if that's how this ends up. And please don't suggest it, either...)
- All entries must be sent to this email address no later than 10 am CDT on Friday, October 15, 2010.
- More than one entry is allowed, but please don't go overboard.
- To enter, you must be 18 years or older. (A parent may enter on behalf of a child.)
- The winner will be announced next week. The prize is four one-day tickets for the 2011 season. Judges' decision is final. Only one winner will be chosen, since we only need one name.
- Employees of Holiday World & Splashin' Safari and their immediate family members are not eligible to win, so please don't enter.
- If we receive more than one entry suggesting the same name (and choose that name), the entry received first (as time-stamped on the entry email) will win.
- Need more info about the ride? There's a webpage for that.
10 October 2010 - 5:24pm
Will Koch just loved Beatles music.
And any pun involving Beatles lyrics--well, that was a home run. So for this, our 64th season, the tune "When I'm 64" was hummed more than once.
This weekend John Lennon would have turned 70. And today, Will would have come on the 2-way at closing and thanked everyone for all their hard work in creating another record season for the park.
Both gentlemen have left behind tremendous legacies.
I think every last one of us has dedicated this season to our dear friend Will. And no one moreso than the Beachcombers, who performed Beatles music all summer long in Splashin' Safari, knowing how much Will enjoyed every performance he attended.
Hope this brings a smile to your face:
8 October 2010 - 4:52pm
The World Waterpark Association is meeting for its annual convention these next few days.
This morning, Lori Koch had the bittersweet honor of receiving an award as her late husband, Will, was inducted into the WWA Hall of Fame.
We're so proud of all Will accomplished; we miss him every day.
4 October 2010 - 1:40pm
Voyage is truly the roller coaster of love.
(Sorry, now that song is stuck in your head, isn't it? Misery loves company...)
A coaster enthusiast emailed me a month or so ago, asking about how he could go about getting engaged here at the park.
Is it rude of me to ask, "Are you SURE she'll say yes?" and "Are you SURE she'll want to be asked so publicly?"
I ask all the proposers-to-be that. (Would rather not create bad memories here at Holiday World, you know?)
Jeff was certain that Katie would say "yes" happily, publicly.
So we continued to email. Over the years, we've had proposals involving Santa, at the high-dive show, and others taking place during our musical shows. (And those are the ones we've heard about.)
Jeff didn't want to go the show route. Katie would figure it out.
So he made this sign and shipped it to us ahead of time:
...and we assured him it would be in place on Saturday.
Tori and her coaster crew saw to it that the sign was displayed on the console at The Voyage.
Tori told me this morning the ride crew members didn't want to take their lunch breaks at the normal time. They didn't want to miss the big moment.
Everyone's a romantic.
The big moment came at last:
Katie saw the sign.
Jeff got down on his knee.
Katie said "yes."
And they'll live happily ever after.